[GRASS-user] Can't create location

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 05:10:44 EDT 2006

Hello Frank

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Frank Broniewski wrote:

> reading your email, I guess there could be a problem with the gdal/proj
> libraries? Is proj also used when I create a location manually?

I don't *think so*; I think it is all done using GDAL/OGR functions but
I'm not 100% sure that the GDAL functions in turn don't call some PROJ
functions, but I don't think they do!

> I installed all the packages via the package manager, so normally
> everything should be set accordingly. How can I test that everything is
> installed correct? I tried g.proj and it works in grass

Well if you have g.proj working then you can create a location using EPSG
codes with a command something like:
g.proj -c proj4=init=epsg:XXXX location=newloc

See the g.proj man page for some fuller (and perhaps more correct)
examples.

Best regards

Paul