[GRASSLIST:10745] Re: issues with grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006: nviz does not work

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 20:59:45 EST 2006

> I'm trying to use the -grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006
> binary on my Ubuntu Hoary linux.

It is probably much easier to try the debian cvs package from the
DebianGIS project I think...
http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/DebianGis

> I am following the nutshell grass tutorial and ran into problem
> quickly, with NVIZ.

> [library errors]

It wasn't compiled on Ubuntu so the libraries will be different.
Linking to the correct ones as you did solves this. Not much else can be
done.

> 3 I started GRASS and it started ok. Then i tried nviz again:
> GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60):~ > nviz elev=elevation.dem vect=roads
> Update elev null mask
> translating colors
> Vector file roads loaded.
> Total vect memory = 69 Kbytes
> Segmentation fault
>
> Here an NVIZ window briefly flashes on and off. And thats it! What do
> i do to fix this?

NVIZ needs to be built with TclTk 8.3 to work on Debian/Ubuntu.
long known bug.

> 4. Finally, the GIS manager itself seems to be missing some drop down
> menus and features- i am attaching a creenshot of the GIS manager:

?what's missing?

again, you wil have more luck with Francesco's GRASS 6.1-cvs packages
from DebianGIS vs. the generic binaries.

Hamish