[GRASSLIST:10747] Re: issues with grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006: nviz does not work

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 21:11:19 EST 2006

Also considr upgrading into Breezy (at least). DebianGis packages are
most suitable for Debian Unstable/Testing or Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.04,
but you can expect that not everything will work cleanly.

If you want to run GRASS+QGIS, I suggest you install stuff like
fftw-2.15, geos, tcl/tk8.3 etc from the repositories via
apt-get/synaptic and then compile gdal, grass and qgis from source.
There is a dependency problem with libgeosc2a, whith will prevent from
installing libgrass, libgdal-grass and qgis-grass-plugins.

This may sound trick, but itś what I did;

1 - install GDAL via synaptic
2 - compile GRASS from source
3 - remove GDAL via synaptic
4 - compile GDAL from source (use --with-grass=path-to-your-install)
5 - compile GRASS again with your new GDAL
6 - compile QGIS (use --with-grass=path-to-your-install).

all the best

Carlos

On 3/5/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the -grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006
> > binary on my Ubuntu Hoary linux.
>
> It is probably much easier to try the debian cvs package from the
> DebianGIS project I think...
> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/DebianGis
>

> > I am following the nutshell grass tutorial and ran into problem
> > quickly, with NVIZ.
>
> > [library errors]
>
> It wasn't compiled on Ubuntu so the libraries will be different.
> Linking to the correct ones as you did solves this. Not much else can be
> done.
>

> > 3 I started GRASS and it started ok. Then i tried nviz again:
> > GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60):~ > nviz elev=elevation.dem vect=roads
> > Update elev null mask
> > translating colors
> > Vector file roads loaded.
> > Total vect memory = 69 Kbytes
> > Segmentation fault
> >
> > Here an NVIZ window briefly flashes on and off. And thats it! What do
> > i do to fix this?
>
> NVIZ needs to be built with TclTk 8.3 to work on Debian/Ubuntu.
> long known bug.
>

> > 4. Finally, the GIS manager itself seems to be missing some drop down
> > menus and features- i am attaching a creenshot of the GIS manager:
>
> ?what's missing?
>

> again, you wil have more luck with Francesco's GRASS 6.1-cvs packages
> from DebianGIS vs. the generic binaries.
>

> Hamish

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke