[GRASSLIST:10750] Re: v.in.ascii failing on large files?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 22:10:44 EST 2006

> Does v.in.ascii have problems with VERY large files (grass 6.1 for
> cygwin)? When I do a v.info on the imported vector, I get a big red X
> with "Cannon open old vector tahoe_4_pansharp_stems at tahoe on level 2".
>  The .csv file
> (x,y and a number column which should be the sole attribute of the
> vector) is about 280mb in size (~ 600,000 points).
>
> On a related note, v.in.ogr fails importing a shapefile that is about
> 170mb in size (dbf file is a hair under 2gb).  I get an out-of-memory
> error (my memory usage goes up to 1.5 gb).

600k points should be no problem for 6.1-cvs and 1gb+ RAM.

Use the -t flag to avoid building a table, this will save lots of RAM.

The -b flag is only needed if you want to load in millions and millions
of points. Only use as a last resort as topology is needed for most
modules. We are still waiting for a binning module (s.cellstats port) to
cull massive datasets into something more useful for RST input.

Hamish