[GRASSLIST:10785] Re: GRASS topographic position functionality beyond r.param.scale?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 00:55:22 EST 2006

Greetings all,

I would be highly critcal of any algorithm that does not have all of
its "innards" available for the vewiing. In addition, the description
of the algorithm for representation of "valley" to "ridge" numerically
is a bit mysterious. The concept of "valleys" and "ridges" is not
easily captured by a single numerical index --- Indeed, I find the
referenced paper rather suspicous as they fail to mention exactly
_how_ they do a lot of things. This is not altogether surprising, as
GIS is often thought of as a magical black box that just does things--
meaning that those things do not need some explanation or
justification.

Conventionally, slope position as defined in most soil science
literature (summit, shoulder, backslope, foot slope, toe slope, etc.)
is often best estimated by the use of the different types of surface
curvature (plan, profile, tangential). Topographic indices such as the
TCI can also be helpful at empirically determining slope position-- if
field data is available for development of a model.

I would suggest r.param.scale, r.terraflow, and r.slope.aspect as a
starting point. An excellent paper which attempts to map out slope
position is:

[Park et al.(2001)Park, McSweeney, and Lowery]	S.J. Park, K.
McSweeney, and B. Lowery. Identification of the spatial distribution
of soils using a process-based terrain characterization. Geoderma,
103:249–272, 2001.

..Another trick might employ re-coding upslope contributing area for
each cell: cells with low values are most likely summits, while those
with the most are probably the valleys...

Cheers,

Dylan