[GRASSLIST:10835] Re: Bus Error in g.remove

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Mar 8 19:40:04 EST 2006

This is probably the same bug Michael Barton reported yesterday
(#4152) and I reported last August (#3585).  Specifically, when GRASS
is built on OS 10.3 Panther (GCC 3.3), and GDAL has Postgres
support.  It's probably happening for you in Tiger because Lorenzo
builds with Panther compatibility - either on Panther, or on Tiger
using the Panther SDK.  A Tiger-only build (GCC 4) is unaffected.

It's a strange bug - I can build GRASS with GDAL without Postgres
support, then update GDAL to include Postgres support and it still
works.  It's only when GDAL has Postgres support *at the time GRASS
is built*.  I've tried various combinations of static and dynamic
Postgres libraries (and the exact same ones used for Postgres support
in GRASS) and other options in GDAL and GRASS and GRASS with/without
its own Postgres support.

On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:14 PM, Dave Kent wrote:

> I am using Grass 6.1CVS on Macintosh with the most recent Macintosh
> binaries.
>
> g.remove gives the following error.
>

> child killed: bus error
> child killed: bus error
>     while executing
> "exec -- $cmd --tcltk"
>     (procedure "execute" line 4)
>     invoked from within
> "execute g.remove "
>     (menu invoke)
>

> This started quite suddenly, possibly consistent with messing with
> AWK post I had yesterday.
>
> I get the same error with g.copy, g.rename but not g.list
>
> I have reinstalled the binaries and the application.
>
> There was a not too similar message in the archives which relates
> to the environmental variable file being corrupted.  I cannot find
> this file and haven't tried removing it.
>
> I am at a bit of a loss on what to do.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy