[GRASSLIST:10858] Re: Problem with r.contour

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 23:29:14 EST 2006

> I've watched the memory use climb while the CPU cycles drop to 1 or 2
> percent. Presumably it does into a swap frenzy. The same thing happens
> whether r.contour finishes successfully or not.

how big does the memory get? ("M" in top will sort by memory if the
process slows down) Is that bigger than what you have installed?

Usually a process gets killed when you run out of memory+swap space and
the OS has to take drastic action to keep the rest of the system from
crashing.. it kills out the worst memory hog.

> How would I measure the size of the areas?

I was interested in the raster region resolution.
'g.region -p' will show number of rows and columns.

v.info will show the number of vector entities involved.

Hamish