[GRASSLIST:1] Re: issues with grass-6.1.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-01_03_2006: nviz does not work

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Fri Mar 10 16:26:39 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:50:07 +0530
"Vishal Mehta" <vishalm1975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I upgraded from Hoary to Breezy, then installed grass 6.0.1 which is
> in the repositoryy, so is qgis 0.6.
> results:
> 1. Grass is working fine with NVIZ also working fine;
> 2. QGIS does not recognize GRASS rasters probably because of what you
> all wrote that it depends on ligdal1-grass, because on upgrading,
> libgdal1 got replaced by libgdal2;
>
> so, i guess i'll try going the gdal compile; gdal-grass compile way
> that you suggest  here.
>
> A related issue: i'm trying to bring in netcdf format files with he
> help of gdal_translate and  r.in.gdal.

You will need to build gdal from source WITH netcdf support. For this,
you will need to install Netcdf itself first, of course.

Refer to gdal list (and it's archives first) in case of problems.

> I get an error as follows:
>  GRASS 6.0.1 (test2):~ > r.in.gdal -oe
> input=/home/vishal/NCEPdata/lhtfl.sfc.gauss.2004.nc output=lhfttrial
> [1]+ Done                    d.m
> Segmentation fault
>
> Also, i'm not sure if the GDAL version i have supports netcdf:
> This is the GDAL i have, satraight from the Breezy repository:
> GDAL 1.2.6.0, released 2005/03/13

Read above.

> So i'm wondering that to have both the grass-qgis plugin, and netcdf
> support, i need to compile gdal with both??

You need to build:

1. gdal with netcdf; you need gdal 1.3.x to use the recent version of
gdal-grass plugin

2. Grass 6.x (or build it from source; avoid using 6.01 if you can,
6.02 should be fine; 6.02 + recent changes from CVS even better; 6.1
_might_ be risky, recently many things have been going on, but the new
functionalities are worth it :), you decide)

3. gdal-grass plugin (you don't build "gdal with gdal-grass plugin";
gdal-grass is a standalone app.)

Have you read this?
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassQgisGdalOgrPlugin

> thanks much!