[GRASSLIST:47] Re: Geology Maps and Grass

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 13:10:06 EST 2006

I agree.
GMT may be tricky at first, but you can make excellent maps with it.

a good example (I guess this is from Dylan):

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/102

Carlos

On 3/13/06, Thomas Adams <Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Dylan,
>
> My thought exactly… Some very stunning graphics can be created with GMT.
>
> Tom
>

> Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > On Monday 13 March 2006 03:40 am, RAVI KUMAR wrote:
> >
> >> One of the Oldest and largest Scientific Departments of India is evaluating
> >> GRASS GIS. No doubt that it is compared with ARC-INFO.
> >>
> >>   We are having difficulty to demonstrate Good Mapcomposition through
> >>   GRASS.
> >>
> >>   1. Geological structural symbols like Foliation / Bedding which are taken
> >> from a table and represented with the rotation as per table.. How can we do
> >> it, in GRASS or any FOSS software?
> >>
> >>   2. Symbol generation for GEOLOGY, what FOSS software to use ?
> >>
> >>   3. Preparation of a map with Cartographic elegance, What FOSS to Use.
> >>
> >>   ThanX in anticipation
> >>

> > Give the generic mapping tools a try:
> >
> > http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/
> >

> --
> Thomas E Adams
> National Weather Service
> Ohio River Forecast Center
> 1901 South State Route 134
> Wilmington, OH 45177
>
> EMAIL:  thomas.adams at noaa.gov
>
> VOICE:  937-383-0528
> FAX:    937-383-0033

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke