[GRASSLIST:250] Re: debian sarge Tk problem

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 19:07:36 EST 2006

> Couple days ago i changed my distribution and now i'm happy owener of
> debian sarge. I wanted install grass6.1 on my machine but i couldt.
> I changed the library names (Tcl/Tk) but there is still error durig
> "./configure"

> checking whether to use Tcl/Tk... yes
> checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes...
> checking for tcl.h... yes
> checking for tk.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tk includes.
>
> (The grass60 installed from .debs works but there is some nviz
> problem)
>
> what should i do?

1) The DebianGIS project publishes backported packages of GRASS 6.0.2
and 6.1-cvs for Debian/Stable (sarge) as well as other geospatial
software (eg gdal 1.3.1).

see  http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

2) If you explore the "build depends" line in the package description
you can quickly figure out what packages you need to compile it
yourself. You can even use the debian package building framework as a
one line command. See the debian/ directory in the GRASS source code.

see  http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/debian/

(Paulo, could you write up a quick README file for there on how to build
your own packages? I don't know the "correct" way.)

3) compile it yourself. If you get *latest* CVS code you can compile
with tcltk 8.4 and fftw3, otherwise use tcltk8.3 and fftw2 without
losing anything.

I think for the FFMPEG animation support in NVIZ you need to get some
non-Free packages from Christian Marillat's repository:

add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
 deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main

./configure step:  (season to taste)

CFLAGS="-ggdb -march=pentium4 -Wall" ./configure \
    --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3 \
    --with-motif --with-motif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include \
    --with-readline --with-cxx --with-glw --with-odbc --with-sqlite \
    --with-freetype --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
    --without-postgres \
    2>&1 | tee config_log.txt

# --with-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-includes=/usr/include/ffmpeg

$ make

To run GRASS, simply start (or symlink to)
$ ./bin.$ARCH/grass61

or, as root,
# make install

GRASS 6.1-cvs Compile package reqs for Debian/Stable, 31 Oct 2005

gcc              # for compile
libc6-dev        # for basics
flex             # for lex
bison            # for yacc
libncurses5-dev  # for curses
zlib1g-dev       # zlib
libreadline5-dev # readline
libjpeg62-dev  or  libjpeg-mmx-dev  # for JPEG support
libtiff4-dev     # for TIFF support
libpng12-dev     # for PNG support
tcl8.3-dev       # for TCL
tk8.3-dev        # for TK
#postgresql      # for Postgresql support
#postgresql-dev  # for Postgresql support
xlibmesa-gl-dev  # for OpenGL
#libstdc++5-3.3-dev # for glu-dev
xlibmesa-glu-dev # for OpenGL
unixodbc-dev     # for ODBC
fftw-dev         # for FFT functions
lesstif2-dev     # for Motif
libfreetype6-dev # for Freetype Fonts
libgdal1-dev     # for GDAL
gdal-bin         # for GDAL (doesn't include libraries or gdal-config)
proj             # for PROJ.4
sqlite3          # for SQLite
libsqlite3-dev   # for SQLite
#libavcodec-dev   # for FFMPEG support
libavcodeccvs-dev# for FFMPEG support
libavutilcvs-dev # for FFMPEG support

make             # won't get far without this..
g++              # for r.terraflow

new:
tcl8.4-dev       # for TCL
tk8.4-dev        # for TK