[GRASSLIST:272] GRASS WIKI thoughts and comments

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 03:45:21 EST 2006

I tried registering myself on the wiki again because I didn't see my
name on the User list. It said I was already registered, and in fact,
allowed me to edit pages. Is the list of WikiUsers functioning
properly, or maybe I am misunderstanding what that list represents
(for internal use only?). Also, the little question mark next to my
name is an indication that my (public) personal profile has not been
created. I clicked on it and found I do not have permission to create
a personal profile. Is this normal?

I was going to start hacking away at the tutorial tonight on the Wiki.
While I was working on the tutorial, I found I wasn't able to edit the
sandbox (of all places)!

Then, I uploaded an image to one of the direction pages on file
attachments which I should probably not be allowed to do but it worked
just fine. However, when I tried to clean up the mess I made of the
page I didn't have permission to move attachments to the trash, so I
left a message for the webmaster to clean it up. At least the natural
order of the universe was restored.

I found the GrassSixTutorial node to be confusing:

http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassSixTutorial

Is this meant to be a list of links to other tutorials (in which case
it is circular since some of the outbound links turn around and link
back to this page). Or is the idea for a real tutorial to grow and
mature there? In which case, I would like to start building it up.

I also started working my way through the CVS html manual pages with
the intention of correcting errors and maybe adding some images if
they would be helpful. But I am behind a DHCP connection and to
request write access to CVS you request a permanent IP address or
range (not available from Comcast cable, but I am keeping track of
addresses I have received).

How can this editing process be made more accessible?

--
David Finlayson