[GRASSLIST:275] Re: GRASS WIKI thoughts and comments

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Tue Mar 21 07:35:34 EST 2006

Hello David,

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:45:21 -0800 "David Finlayson"
<david.p.finlayson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried registering myself on the wiki again because I didn't see my
> name on the User list. It said I was already registered, and in fact,
> allowed me to edit pages. Is the list of WikiUsers functioning
> properly, or maybe I am misunderstanding what that list represents
> (for internal use only?). Also, the little question mark next to my
> name is an indication that my (public) personal profile has not been
> created. I clicked on it and found I do not have permission to create
> a personal profile. Is this normal?

No this is not normal. I will look into this. Thanks for pointing it
out.

> I was going to start hacking away at the tutorial tonight on the Wiki.
> While I was working on the tutorial, I found I wasn't able to edit the
> sandbox (of all places)!

This is related to the above problem AFAIK. Again, I will check this.

> Then, I uploaded an image to one of the direction pages on file
> attachments which I should probably not be allowed to do but it worked
> just fine. However, when I tried to clean up the mess I made of the
> page I didn't have permission to move attachments to the trash, so I
> left a message for the webmaster to clean it up. At least the natural
> order of the universe was restored.
>
> I found the GrassSixTutorial node to be confusing:
>
> http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/twiki/bin/view/GRASS/GrassSixTutorial
>
> Is this meant to be a list of links to other tutorials (in which case
> it is circular since some of the outbound links turn around and link
> back to this page). Or is the idea for a real tutorial to grow and
> mature there? In which case, I would like to start building it up.
>
> I also started working my way through the CVS html manual pages with
> the intention of correcting errors and maybe adding some images if
> they would be helpful. But I am behind a DHCP connection and to
> request write access to CVS you request a permanent IP address or
> range (not available from Comcast cable, but I am keeping track of
> addresses I have received).
>
> How can this editing process be made more accessible?

I cannot comment on the last CVS-related parts and leave that for
others to elaborate.

I am going going to solve you WIKI-problems though.

Best
	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508