[GRASSLIST:314] Re: Compiling gdal with grass support: need help on '--with-grass=' p ointer

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 22 12:17:59 EST 2006

Patton, Eric wrote:

> And no problems. Now I'm trying to configure gdal with grass support, again,
> using the script provided on Dylan's site:
>
> ./configure --with-png=internal --with-jpeg=internal \
>  --with-gif=internal --with-libtiff=internal \
> --with-geotiff=internal --with-libz=internal\
> --without-pg --without-ogdi --with-python \
> --with-threads=yes --with-grass=/usr/local/grass6/
>
> and received error message:
>
> configure: error: --with-grass=/usr/local/grass6/ requested, but libraries
> not found!
>
> So where should the '--with-grass' flag be pointing to? I've read
> conflicting information on the archives that the path inserted for this flag
> should be everything from the binary
> (/usr/local/grass6/bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu/grass61) to a symlink in /usr/lib
> that points to grass libs somewhere else.

Look at GDAL's config.log file for error messages; that should provide
some clues as to exactly what went wrong.

Error messages which configure scripts show to the user are often
misleading; e.g. "X not found" usually means "a test program which
tried to use X failed for some reason.

One potential issue is that the most recent versions of GRASS install
their headers in $GISBASE/include/grass/*.h, but GDAL expects to find
the headers as <grass dir>/include/*.h and won't let you specify a
specific path. If that is the problem, you will need to populate
$GISBASE/include with symlinks, e.g.

	cd $GISBASE/include
	ln -s grass/*.h .