[GRASSLIST:397] Re: SRTM coastline sharpening

lponti at infinito.it lponti at infinito.it
Mon Mar 27 02:11:33 EST 2006

William, Eric, Carlos, Hamish, Markus:

Thanks erverybody for your suggestions,

I used GeoTIFF WRS-2 tiles from GLCF, so I have probably
wasted a fair amount of time filling voids etc. However,
as Hamish would say, not really a waste of time cause I
learned something on r.fillnulls and r.resamp.rst.

Hamish: thank you for the hint on the vector general
question. I have been playing aroung with v.type for quite
a while, then I decided to ask for help. Good, for two
reasons. First, I got to know about srtm2. Second, now I
know it is possible to build area topology from lines.

Thank you all again and if anybody knows the correct
command to add centroids to boundaries, please let me
know.

Luigi

P.S. While I was writing this message, Markus filled the
gap: THANKS!!!

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:36:32 +1200
  Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Following the GRASSNews_vol3 article on SRTM import, I
>>was trying to
>> sharpen coastlines using GSHHS shapefiles. However, the
>>imported GSHHS
>> vectors are just lines and not areas. Therefore I do not
>>know how to
>> generate a raster MASK, because there is no area for
>>v.to.rast to
>> produce a filled raster coverage.
>

> others have mentioned the new SRTM v2 so I'll leave
>that, but for the
> general vector how-to question:
>
> An area is made up of a boundary and a centroid, so two
>steps are
> needed:
>
> # convert lines to boundaries
> v.type line,boundary
>
> # add centroids
> v.category op=add   # ?!!!
>
> This second part I know possible, but I forget the
>correct command.
> Maybe it is v.build or v.clean?
>

> Hamish

INFINITO ADSLFLAT 4 MEGA: SOLO 27,90 EURO AL MESE IVA INCLUSA IP STATICO, BANDA GARANTITA 256Kbps ANTIVIRUS E FIREWALL INCLUSI NEL PREZZO

http://adsl.infinito.it