[GRASSLIST:458] RE: Building GRASS in a user account

Aaron Racicot aaronr at ecotrust.org
Tue Mar 28 13:49:18 EST 2006

Hey there David,

I have not had to do this, but in general:

1) If you want to install a package in a non-standard place you can
specify the --prefix option in the configure.  For Proj.4 you might try
something like:
./configure --prefix=/home/davidf/local_apps/proj4/
This will install proj4 in the local_apps directory of your user
account.

2) If you want to compile against a specific version of an app (or
something located in a non-standard place) you can specify
--with-PACKAGE[=ARG].  To compile GRASS against your local version of
Proj try something like:
./configure --with-proj-libs=/home/davidf/local_apps/proj4/lib/
--with-proj-includes=/home/davidf/local_apps/proj4/include/

3) You might also have to specify the --prefix for GRASS so that it gets
installed in the /home/davidf/local_apps directory as well.

4) Modify your .bash_profile or /bashrc to include the path to the grass
and proj executables so that you can access them easily.

Also, you should look at all the other configure options as well for
both packages, as what I put on the configure line is just the options
to get you past this problem... You will need others I am sure.

Hope this helps... and works!

Aaron

| Aaron Racicot  | aaronr at ecotrust.org   |
| GIS Programmer | 503.467.0759          |
| e c o t r u s t                        |
| Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center     |
| 721 NW Ninth Avenue                    |
| Suite 200                              |
| Portland, OR 97209                     |
| www.ecotrust.org                       |