[GRASSLIST:500] LRS

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 04:13:24 EST 2006

I would like to include my implementation of LRS
(lineare reference system) which was available here
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/index.html
in standard GRASS distribution.

The LRS supports georeferencing of points and segments
given by linear feature, e.g. a road and a position on the
linear feature in real world for exemple km+meters.
It can also do reverse task, that means to report linear feature
and position (road nr., km+m) for point (near the road).

I have a question about terminology, I am in doubts how to call

1) The value specifying certain fix point in real world, e.g.
  milepost, milestone. The point has usually a physical representation
  but I mean the value it represents i.e. mile, kilometer,
  not the physical object.

2) The value which specifies the distance along a linear object
    from 1) (from milepost) to a certain position on the linear feature.
    The distance is given for example in meters or feets.

3) How to call the module which generates labels of existing LRS
    Here is example of a map with labels and strokes generated
    byt this module: http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/stationing-small.png

I hope that native english speakers and people working with LRS can help.

Thanks
Radim