[GRASSLIST:502] Re: LRS

Laurent C. lrntct at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 05:12:39 EST 2006

2006/3/31, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com>:

> I would like to include my implementation of LRS
> (lineare reference system) which was available here
> http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/index.html
> in standard GRASS distribution.
>
> The LRS supports georeferencing of points and segments
> given by linear feature, e.g. a road and a position on the
> linear feature in real world for exemple km+meters.
> It can also do reverse task, that means to report linear feature
> and position (road nr., km+m) for point (near the road).
>
> I have a question about terminology, I am in doubts how to call
>
> 1) The value specifying certain fix point in real world, e.g.
>   milepost, milestone. The point has usually a physical representation
>   but I mean the value it represents i.e. mile, kilometer,
>   not the physical object.
>
> 2) The value which specifies the distance along a linear object
>     from 1) (from milepost) to a certain position on the linear feature.
>     The distance is given for example in meters or feets.
>
> 3) How to call the module which generates labels of existing LRS
>     Here is example of a map with labels and strokes generated
>     byt this module: http://mpa.itc.it/radim/lrs/stationing-small.png
>
> I hope that native english speakers and people working with LRS can help.
>
> Thanks
> Radim

Hello,
Good job, LRS is very interesting. Maybe I'm wrong, but may it be usefull
for one-dimensional hydraulic/river modelling ? Strokes could be
cross-sections with associated profile. I'm thinking about river modelling
software like FEQ or HEC-RAS.
http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-ras/
http://il.water.usgs.gov/proj/feq
http://www.iqdotdt.com/