[GRASSLIST:525] Re: nviz with transparency is horrible slow

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 31 14:04:26 EST 2006

Wolfgang wrote:

> If I did the installation correctly, this X server doesn't improve the
> situation. But the question is also if nviz is programmed to support OpenGL?

NVIZ uses OpenGL for rendering the 3D view.

You can determine whether your X server provides OpenGL acceleration
from the output from "glxinfo". For an unaccelerated server, you
should see:

	OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
	OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
	OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2.1)

For an accelerated server, you should get something which refers to
your graphics hardware, e.g.:

	OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
	OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6800 GT/PCI/SSE2
	OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.0.1)