[GRASSLIST:532] Re: nviz with transparency is horrible slow

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 31 17:36:08 EST 2006

Wolfgang wrote:

> I get following output, but when I understand right "direct rendering:
> No" is the important message.

No. You won't get direct rendering on Cygwin under any circumstances.
But that isn't the issue; the issue is whether you get hardware
accelerated rendering.

The two are often confused because the stock X.org X11 distribution
only supports OpenGL acceleration for direct rendering (where the
rendering is performed by the client), not for indirect rendering
(where the rendering is performed by the X server).

Cygwin's X servers don't support direct rendering, but the XWin_GL
server can do accelerated indirect rendering.

> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9700 x86/SSE2
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5.4647 WinXP Release)

This means that it's using the 3D hardware to perform accelerated
rendering. In which case, there isn't anything more which you can do
to improve the situation.