[GRASSLIST:997] Re: representing objects in grass

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 01:59:48 EDT 2006

> But aren't the d.* commands for visualization purposes ?

yes, I misunderstand "objects".

> Maybe I didn't succeed i posing my question!
> Lets take a concrete situation, maybe I will be more clear.
> Suppose you want to represent a pipe. I has a name (pipe1 p.e.), an
> orientation (take vertical, for example) and a
> location (its coordinates, for example). How do I represent that
> object in grass? How do I represent the object pipe1, with vertical
> orientation and location x,y ?

3D pipe (hollow?) or just a simple line? [3D is possible, but harder]

"v.in.ascii format=standard" will let you define any point, line,
centroid, boundary, area, or 3D surface component in x,y,z space. see
the help page.

e.g., 3D vectors as visualized in NVIZ,
  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass60/screenshots/viz.php

or use v.in.dxf if you have a vector network from a CAD program.

> I thougth it would be necessary to make some db files!If not, then
> when and where must I use them ?

Not needed to make the object, only if you want to attach attributes to
the object (name, cost, ID number, etc)

Hamish