[GRASS-user] Trento3D screenshots redone

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri May 19 08:25:19 EDT 2006

Hamish & Markus,

How did you do the inundation? With r.lake; does this use a level
surface? If so, this is not correct for a river, due to the downstream
slope of the topography and the hydrodynamics of the flow. The resulting
water surface elevations would be less than a level surface. Channel &
overbank cross-sections are needed (corresponding to those used in a
dynamic flow model) which then need to be intersected with the
topography. The US Army Corps of Engineers HEC-RAS & HEC-GeoRAS software
that is integrated with ArcGIS does this correctly.

This is very exciting to see. I am on a National Team within the U.S.
NOAA, National Weather Service (NWS) to study and make recommendations
on the direction that should be taken with meeting our GIS needs (which
is considerable), particularly in the area of operational hydrology,
that is, river and flood forecasting. GRASS is **very much** an option.
One of the main reasons for the viability of GRASS is that ESRI does not
support Linux, which is our operational OS. We operate our
computers/models behind a very restrictive firewall. While it is
possible to have Windows-based PCs within our operational network (and
we do), they are poorly integrated with our Linux-based workflow.
Consequently, as far as GIS is concerned, we are somewhat stuck between
2 worlds: Linux & MS-Windows. There are some things ArcGIS can do that
we are unable to do in GRASS. My previous paragraph mentions one of
them. This is a huge issue for us. So, the more examples I have of GRASS
meeting NWS needs, the better.

I have GRASS installed on our operational systems and I use it both
interactively for various analyses (mostly involving precipitation &
temperature) and in batch mode with some scripts I have written. We have
13 River Forecast Centers and 125 Weather Forecast Office across the US.
The possibility exists for GRASS to be used in all these offices and our
National Centers. I'm not being boastful here, but through my
persistence and "educating" people on GRASS, some River Forecast
Centers, one National Center (the Hydometeorological Prediction Center),
and the NWS Hydrology Lab. have started using GRASS. This is a big step,
because within the NWS, *many* very talented programmers exist who would
be itching to contribute to GRASS development if the decision were made
to formally adopt GRASS for GIS use. Already, i addition to the use of
Linux, the entire NWS recently made the switch to PostgreSQL from
INFORMIX. The NWS is fully committed to open source software (there are
many using R as well).

Regards,
Tom

--