[GRASS-user] Trento3D screenshots redone

pmarc paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Fri May 19 09:06:34 EDT 2006

2006/5/19, Thomas Adams <Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov>:
> Hamish & Markus,
>
> How did you do the inundation? With r.lake; does this use a level
> surface? If so, this is not correct for a river, due to the downstream
> slope of the topography and the hydrodynamics of the flow. The resulting
> water surface elevations would be less than a level surface. Channel &
> overbank cross-sections are needed (corresponding to those used in a
> dynamic flow model) which then need to be intersected with the
> topography. The US Army Corps of Engineers HEC-RAS & HEC-GeoRAS software
> that is integrated with ArcGIS does this correctly.

Well, that was just to showcase possibilities and then you come with a
class on hidrology!!

Thanks!

I think it should be easy to add a slope to that flood surface, but
that would be still incorrect.
The solution would be to implement a flood modelling routine, but
then, this is the beauty of free software! However, with all my
excitement about all this, I am not the person to implement it... I'm
still lacking some work on the localization of GRASS....

I think I speak for the whole community when I say we are glad to see
GRASS being used is such hi-profile tasks.
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
-22.915 -42.229 = GG87vc (http://www.amsat.org/cgi-bin/gridconv)