[GRASS-user] wierd artifacts in DEM from seamless.usgs.gov

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Sat May 20 21:19:24 EDT 2006

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

After a couple hours of working with the data here is what I found out:

data source: 1/3 arc second DEM from seamless.usgs.gov (lat/lon)

projected to utm via :
gdalwarp -tps
gdalwarp -tps -rb
gdalwarp -tps -rcs
r.proj
Arc/Info project grid CUBIC
r.to.vect -> v.proj -> v.surf.rst

graphical overview can be found here:

http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/gdalwarp/image_matrix.html

in terms of the shaded relief r.proj produced the best _looking_ image. It
turned out that the original cross-hatch artifacts were a result of the
default nearest neighbor routine used in gdalwarp. The source data does not
appear to be afflicted with these artifacts, although their presence in all
of the projected version suggests that there might be something wrong...

Vertical artifacts appear in all of the projected images, except for that of
r.proj using the cubic convolution sampling method. (how exactly does r.proj
work?). The best _looking_ tangential curvature raster was derived from
gdalwarp with the -tps and -rvc (cubic resampling) flags. However, this is
probably due to the inherent smoothing that goes along with this set of
options- as Maciek pointed out.

converting raster -> points -> v.proj -> v.surf.rst seemd to work ok (no
artifacts in  the shaded relief besides edge effects), albeit very time
consuming.

also worth noting is the severe contour-bias seen in the profile curvature
maps.

Dylan

--
Dylan Beaudette