[GRASS-user] System architecture for running GRASS

Craig Feuerherdt craigfeuerherdt at gmail.com
Wed May 24 20:28:15 EDT 2006

I have recently got a new job working for a small business. My role is
GIS/mapping and I am wanting to use GRASS - cost being the predominant
issues. I come from an ESRI ArcInfo/ArcGIS background. I am confident that
GRASS (and myself) have the capability to deliver the businesses
requirements.

The business is in the process of setting up its computer system and I want
to ensure that we have considered the needs of the GIS as it will be a core
part of the business.
My wish list includes;
> storing all data in Postgresql
> database (and therefore data) is accessible to all users on the network
> database is available for other applications ie MapServer ec

I would appreciate feedback from users who are using GRASS in a similar,
networked environment and how they have implemented it. At this stage all
desktop computers will be running Windows.
I think it would be best to run linux on the server (what flavour is another
quesiton ie GISKnoppix/GISDebian - ready made system or is it better to use
an alternative and install applications myself?). The server can still act
as a central fileserver using Samba. To access GRASS I could use a terminal
server, this way all processing is done on the server with the data, rather
than relying on the network etc.
I am skeptical about running GRASS under cygwin, my main concerns relate to
storing and accessing data in the postgresql database on the server.

Any suggestions/ideas/experiences would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Craig