[GRASS-user] help with vector handling needed

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon May 29 17:16:06 EDT 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:49:09 +0200
Wolfgang Zillig <wollez at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've downloaded an e00 file with the outline from Laos. Import worked
> finally an I get it displayed as it should be. But now I wanted to
> export the map to an dxf file so that I can add some labels and fill
> the outline with a color. But when I import the dxf to corel draw it
> is composed of line segments (72 pieces) and I can't group them so
> that a filling of the area is possible. I think one problem is that
> the direction of the lines is not always in the same direction. So
> here my questions:
> - how can I alter the vector file in  grass so that I get a closed
> outline?

If you need to connect nodes, use v.clean tool=snap. To build a
polyline out of connected lines, use v.build.polyline.

> - is there an other resource of country boundaries which is more
> easily usable?

vmap0? See in fregis list archives for somebody's ftp server with vmap0
already converted from it's native format to shapefile (few months
ago). I think I heard there's a new vmap0 release available, but
propably only native format (a bit tough, yet convertable, find hints
in the Grass lists archives and in Grass news pdf, by Markus Neteler).

> - what software would you reccomend to draw simple maps  (boundary
> outline, different locations marked by symbols and some text needs to
> be added as well)?

QGIS? If you are interested only in vectors, then export from QGIS map
composer as SVG and edit further in Inkscape for a more fancy result.

> - is there a GUI-viewer/editor for the database files available (at
> the moment I use the standard dbf files)?

For sqlite there is sqlitebrowser. Postgres and Mysql have some GUI user
iterfaces too, but I don't know details.

Maciek