[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASSLIST:1079] grass database and dbms

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 05:56:45 EDT 2006

> I was wondering if GRASS, with SQL support, needs or uses some kind of
> dbms like MySql or PostgreSQL.

It can connect to either.see db.connect.
  http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/database.html

The default is simple DBF, which can use simple SQL support (limited).
Also simple is SQLite but that can understand more/most SQL statements.
MySQL is supported, but apparently there are issues?
PostgreSQL is supported quite well, if I understand correctly.
With ODBC you can connect with Oracle, etc....

> Can anyone help me? Where can I find documentation about this subject

http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/sql.html
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/database.html
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/databaseintro.html
http://grass.itc.it/grass57/tutorial/links.html