[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASSLIST:1079] grass database and dbms

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue May 30 12:18:56 EDT 2006

I've been using sqlite for the last few months on several of my
projects. I think it works rather well. It supports almost all of SQL,
so there are no artificial limitations. It is very easy to learn and
use. The databases are stored in a single file and appear to be
portable across platforms (windows and linux at least).

The only issues I have found---and these are only things you would
notice coming from other databases---is that it has no column typing
(you can load a double into a varchar column) and modifying tables
(like dropping columns) usually involves copying the entire table via
a select statement.

I would recommend sqlite over dbf.

On 5/30/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering if GRASS, with SQL support, needs or uses some kind of
> > dbms like MySql or PostgreSQL.
>
> It can connect to either.see db.connect.
>   http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/database.html
>
> The default is simple DBF, which can use simple SQL support (limited).
> Also simple is SQLite but that can understand more/most SQL statements.
> MySQL is supported, but apparently there are issues?
> PostgreSQL is supported quite well, if I understand correctly.
> With ODBC you can connect with Oracle, etc....
>
> > Can anyone help me? Where can I find documentation about this subject
>
> http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/sql.html
> http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/database.html
> http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass61/manuals/html61_user/databaseintro.html
> http://grass.itc.it/grass57/tutorial/links.html