[GRASS-user] Springer Encyclopedia of GIS, GRASS entry

Andreas Neumann neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 8 08:26:06 EST 2006

Hi Benjamin,

If you agree to write an entry, the responsible persons at Springer will
provide you with a full list of entries. This is much more detailed than
the TOC at the website I provided. It is ok if the entry is written by
several persons, but they need one corresponding address and a person
for signing the legal stuff (contract).

I am sorry that the timeframe is so short, I only recently had a glance
at all the entries and only recently proposed the editors to add a few
other projects/products to the list. Of course this shouldn't be an
advertisement chapter, but should provide background information on the
project, general software capabilities, history of the project, etc.

Maybe there are some existing articles out there on GRASS to start from.

Andreas

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I think we should not take this to lightly.
> It is of * great * importance to place open source GIS and
> geodata infrastructures in this book, as this looks like it could
> evolve into a widely circulated reference.
>
> I believe that the chapter on "Organizational, Professional, Social,
> Legal Aspects of GIS" would be the suitable place for an OS GIS chapter.
> In addition, there is already a chapter called "Control of Information
> - dissemination of GIS information" and this should be subsituted with
> some background on open geodata (if that has not already been done).
>
> However, most of the GRASS developers and users can only contribute
> such things in their spare time and I would guess that I will be
> hard to find someone to write up a whole chapter 'til December.
> I would be willing to add a few paragraphs and some pretty figures
> on archaeological GRASS applications.
>
> Mark, Michael -- maybe we could cooperate on this?
>
> Best,
>
> Benjamin

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann at karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/