[GRASS-user] r.reclass not spawning xterm on Mac OS X

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Nov 9 02:02:01 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> You have to run r.reclass with arguments to get to the xterm interface. From
> the GIS Manager, there is a script that does this.
>
> Running r.reclass without arguments will open a GUI that is pretty useless.

A couple of potentially useful enhancements:

1. Add a rules= option to r.reclass which accepts the name of a file
containing reclass rules.

2. Add a button to the standard dialogs which allows stdin to be
redirected from a user-specified file.

Either of those would allow r.reclass to be usable without a terminal.

There's still the general issue of what we do about
terminal-interactive modules. So long as at least one such module
exists, the issue remains.

Either we decide to "kill them all", and declare all use of stdin to
be a bug, or we need some way for a module to indicate that it needs
(or may need) a terminal. The latter is complicated by the fact that a
module may only require a terminal in certain circumstances.

Comments? Please. I'd *really* like to get this issue dealt with; it's
been coming up since the days of d.m (maybe even since tcltkgrass).