[GRASS-user] howto Install grass 6.2 on Fedora 6

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Nov 9 03:19:23 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 09:59 -0500, Travis Kirstine wrote:
> I've just converted from windows xp to fedora 6.2 and have in the past
> been using the grass/cygwin combo from geni.ath.cx or the new mingw
> version.  I would like to now install grass 6.2 on my machine running
> fedora 6.  I tried just downloading and running the various .rpm files
> from the grass download page but receive missing required file error
> (dependencies) message when attempting to install.  Can anyone point
> me to where I could find a listing of all files required for grass to
> run and a fairly detailed explanation on steps needed to install since
> I have very little experience with fedora/linux

I haven't finished the accompanying documentation, yet.

You definitely need proj,tcl,tk,fftw,freetype,sqlite,python installed.
Can you paste the error and which gdal you are using?  GRASS has many
dependencies.

You can usually guess the missing pieces from the library/dependency
name or you can let yum resolve the dependencies for you:

yum localinstall package_list

package_list being the GRASS and associated RPMs you downloaded.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785