[GRASS-user] nulls left by r.surf.nnbathy

Nick Cahill ndcahill at wisc.edu
Mon Nov 13 22:40:19 EST 2006

Dear Maciej,

I was hoping that you would reply and offer to help with this. It's
interesting that someone else is having the same problem, and that
you're not; at least I'm not crazy.

I am using a Mac; I built nnbathy myself, following the directions on
the r.surf.nnbathy help page --

1. Download nn.tar.gz from http://www.marine.csiro.au/~sakov/
2. tar xzvf nn.tar.gz
3. cd nn
4. ./configure
5. make
6. gcc -o nnbathy nnbathy.c -g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -I. -DNN_SERIAL
libnn.a -lm
7. chmod u+x ./nnbathy

So I'm pretty sure I specified serial processing enabled.

I ran r.surf.nnbathy input=contours output=nnbathytest

My region was

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       35
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      4260094.61044678
south:      4259866.85324284
west:       591019.57338036
east:       591322.93463532
nsres:      1.99787021
ewres:      1.99579773
rows:       114
cols:       152
cells:      17328

I used a rasterized contour map as a source:

-----+
| Layer:    contours                       Date: Wed Nov  8 21:26:32
2006    |
| Mapset:   nick                           Login of Creator:
nick            |
| Location:
sardis                                                           |
| DataBase: /Volumes/Artemisia/
Grass                                         |
| Title:    contours
( contours )                                            |
| timestamp:
none                                                            |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----|

|   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories:
0               |
|   Data Type:
DCELL                                                      |
|   Rows:
4500                                                       |
|   Columns:
3002                                                       |
|   Total Cells:
13509000                                                   |
|        Projection: UTM (zone
35)                                           |
|            N: 4263814.6288481    S: 4254813.86981583   Res:
2.00016867     |
|            E: 591978.16296956    W: 585973.39371108   Res:
2.00025625      |
|   Range of data:    min = 74.000000  max =
914.000000                      |

|   Data
Source:                                                             |
|    Vector Map: contours in mapset
nick                                     |
|    Original Scale from Vector Map:
1:1                                     |

|   Data
|    generated by
v.to.rast                                                  |

Comments:

|    v.to.rast input="contours" output="contours" use="z" layer=1
value=1\   |

rows=4096                                                              |

-----+

The region was set to 2 meter resolution, same as the contour map. I
had zoomed in with gis.m, then set the region to the current window.

The output again had these annoying nulls.

I won't put the files in as an attachment, but am putting relevant
files in a directory at

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ndcahill/web/nnbathy_stuff/

These are:

http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ndcahill/web/nnbathy_stuff/nnbathytest.jpg
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ndcahill/web/nnbathy_stuff/contour.ascii -
r.out.ascii of the relevant section of the contour map
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ndcahill/web/nnbathy_stuff/
nnbathytest.ascii  - r.out.ascii of the nnbathy results
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ndcahill/web/nnbathy_stuff/currentregion -
region settings
http://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ndcahill/web/nnbathy_stuff/mapinfo -
r.info of contour map

and for what it's worth, the binary nnbathy, if that's any use (built
for ppc macintosh using latest Apple developer tools)

Many many thanks for your help with this. I deeply appreciate it.

Yours,

Nick Cahill