[GRASS-user] 3D DXF output: howto?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 18:05:37 EST 2006

Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> I am currently trying to get some 3D points out of GRASS and into a
> 3D modeller (blender.org) fur further processing.

Can blender load VTK format? (v.out.vtk)
or POV? (v.out.pov)

v.out.dxf will export 3D:
if (ltype & GV_POINTS) {
    dxf_point(layer, Points->x[0], Points->y[0], Points->z[0]);

Benjamin:
> OK, v.drape worked for me, though I find it a little annoying
> that I have to first convert the elevation attribute to a
> raster, than use that to grab 3D coordinates off it.
>
> I was hoping there might be a more elegant way to just copy
> the elevation attribute into the Z coordinate and create
> and thus convert a 3D points map to 3D directly.

hmph, that isn't so good. we should add a column= option to optionally
take the value from a column in the input vector. (even though this has
little to do with a "drape")

I've tested making a wish in the new bug tracker:
http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=237&group_id=21&atid=182

Markus:
> Ah, now I got it... So, alternatively you can do:
> with
>  v.to.db option=coor ...
> you could upload the x and y values to the attribute table,
> then re-create a map with
>  v.in.db ...

another method:
v.out.ascii.db  (from the wiki add-ons page)
v.in.ascii -z z=

question for devels: why doesn't z>0 option trigger the -z flag
automatically?

Hamish