[GRASS-user] mysterious error (WARNING: Cannot open old vector on level 2)

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:55:28 EST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 17:53, Hamish wrote:
> Henry House wrote:
> > I'm having mysterious errors trying to use various modules in my
> > database (GRASS 6.1 running on Debian), which contains mapsets
> > PERMANENT and hajhouse.
> >
> > example:
> >    GRASS 6.1.cvs (sacramento_sanjoaquin):~/grass > ps.map
> >    in=Scripts/psmap_script output=out.ps
> >
> >    WARNING: Cannot open old vector soil at hajhouse on level 2
> >    ERROR: soil in hajhouse : can't open vector file
> >
> > g.list vect reports:
> >    vector files available in mapset hajhouse:
> >    soil
> >
> >    vector files available in mapset PERMANENT:
> >    cont_10      cty_bounds   hydro        plsa         rd_local
> >    rd_state
> >    rd_usa       soilmu_a_sac soilmu_l_sac soilmu_p_sac soilsa_a_sac
> >    soilsf_l_sac
> >    soilsf_p_sac urban
> >
> > Trying to use v.out.ogr fails with the same error. Trying to display a
> > layer in QGIS (via grass plugin) fails with a rather unhelpful error
> > that the layer is not a valid layer. The error presented is the same
> > for soilmu_a_sac at PERMANENT and soil at hajhouse but some other layers in
> > this database work fine with all GRASS modules. All the layers
> > including the problematic ones display fine in the GRASS GIS manager,
> > however.
> >
> > What is puzzling and frustrating about this is that it worked fine a
> > month or so ago.  Then I set work in GRASS aside for a month and now
> > that I have resumed the errors are here.  I have not altered my GRASS
> > binaries or support files in the meanwhile, and AFAIK my OS library
> > versions have not been updated either.
>
> rebuilt topology with:
>
> v.build soils
>   or
> v.build.all   # to rebuild all vector maps in current mapset
>
> then it should work again.
>
> (unless files are totally corrupt on the disk)
>

> Hamish

Hi Henry!

I have encountered this type of error when digitizing GRASS vectors in QGIS-
and something bizzare happens. Normally re-building the topology with v.build
solved the problem.

Another question- are you working with the latest NRCS SSURGO database? If you
would like some notes on importing all of the tabular data into postgres let
me know and I can send my notes.

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette