[GRASS-user] mysterious error (WARNING: Cannot open old vector on level 2)

Jarosław Jasiewicz jarekj at amu.edu.pl
Fri Nov 24 04:06:03 EST 2006

Maciej Sieczka napisał(a):

>Jarosław Jasiewicz wrote:
>

>>Dylan Beaudette napisał(a):
>>

>>>I have encountered this type of error when digitizing GRASS vectors in
>>>QGIS- and something bizzare happens. Normally re-building the topology
>>>with v.build solved the problem.
>>>

>>1. this error also heppens when you create file and leave it empty - it
>>is normal - no topology can be build
>>2. I also had a problem with vectors after editing with qgis (file
>>totally corupted v.build not helped). So I resign to use qgis as a
>>editor for grass vector. I see, more people has the same problem
>>

>Well, I for one never had such a problem as Jarek and Dylan describe -
>QGIS never corrupted any GRASS vector for me. Even if QGIS crashes
>during digitizing, v.build always helps, and QGIS doesn't crash that
>easily these days; v.digit freezes or crashes for me more often AAMOF.
>
>Honestly, QGIS 0.8 provides a really good vector digitizing tool for
>GRASS. Using it is more convenient and time efficient than using
>v.digit, and it doesn't suffer it's numerous problems (has it's own
>problems though, yet less harmfull that those in v.digit; and they are
>being fixed).
>
>If you found bugs in QGIS GRASS digitizer please report them. There is
>a major bug squashing ongoing in QGIS currently, your input could help!
>
>Cheers,
>Maciek

Hi
Its about QGIS 0.8 preview 2 (TITAN) installed from deb packages
Well, most of bugs I saw with qgis happens during workshops with
students, so that errors shuldn't be mentioned enywhere. In fact I have
almost 20 students in workshop group so I cannot control everyone, so
cannot reproduce errors respectively.
Most of them (during digitalisation) are simple run-time errors.
Addationally qgis is the only program I know which can crash linux
totaly without particular reasons, (only hard reset can help)

I check qgis news regularry, And all errors I had been mentioned, so I
didn't see  reasons to  mention them again.

Addationally on my own computer qgis works extremly slow. I work on
digitzing soil map of Great Poland Lowland (over 2000 areas) And
opposite Maciek I never had problems with v.digit (in spite of lack of
experience) but qgis became solower and slower when number of obiects
incresed.
I thing that one of reasons of my problems is that I install it form
packages -   but it shouldn't be an argument. And second is that I use
gnome (GTK), but qgis is based on Qt (KDE) it also shouldn't be a problem.

It not a criticism - both programs (grass and qgis) are open source so I
use them as they came And I happy they are - but in my private
experience v.digit is much faster and stable than qgis

regards
Jarek