[GRASS-user] why does grass want to generate an ssh key?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Nov 26 16:06:34 EST 2006

JerryNelson wrote:

> I'm trying to use grass6.3. When I launch it, I'm told it appears I haven't
> set up my ssh keys. I answer the questions with the location it offers
> (location of id_rsa), no passphrase. Then bash reports it can't access a
> different directory looking for the file authorized_keys.  When I type gis.m
> at the prompt, the gui appears for a split second, and then disappears. The
> terminal reports an error in the startup script. Can't read parts(w), no
> such variable.

GRASS itself doesn't use ssh, at least not directly. I can only assume
that something which is being called by the startup script is trying
to use it, but I have no idea what.

Try running the Init.sh script using "sh -x ...", e.g.:

	GISBASE=/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs
	export GISBASE
	sh -x $GISBASE/etc/Init.sh

This will print out each command it executes, which may provide some
clues as to exactly what is trying to use ssh.