[GRASS-user] Importing a DLG file?

James McManus jmpmcmanus at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 18:13:08 EST 2006

I am trying to read DLG files I acquired from EDC:

http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/DLG/LARGE_SCALE/B/bar_harbor_ME/

I created a new location with datum nad27, UTM 19T, and the following
boundary
information:

North Edge: 4927711.3427
South Edge: 4913925.56721
West Edge: 559671.376533
East Edge: 569757.204349

I then imported one of the TR01CATD.DDF files using v.in.ogr:

v.in.ogr dsn=/home/models/grassdata/USGS/BarHarbor/RD/TR01CATD.DDF
output=BHroads min_area=0.0001 snap=-1

The file was imported, however I got several warnings, informing me that
the feature was imported
without the geometry, and when I attempt to view the file I get a white
screen with no features, such
as roads. I also get a message saying the topology is not available. The
output from the import is listed
below:

A datum name nad27 (North_American_Datum_1927) was specified without
transformation parameters.

Non-interactive mode: the GRASS default for nad27 is
towgs84=-22.000,157.000,176.000.
Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match.
Proceeding with import...
Layer: ARDF

Importing map 906 features...

906 features without geometry
Layer: ARDM

Importing map 113 features...

113 features without geometry
Layer: ACOI

Width for column 'COINCIDENT' set to 255 (was not specified by OGR),
some strings may be truncated!

Importing map 1 features...

1 feature without geometry
Layer: AHDR