[GRASS-user] Clarification on units used in r.sun

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 30 16:42:18 EST 2006

A watt hour is a real unit, although not an SI one, its a unit of energy (as
opposed to a watt which is power).  Watt-hours are used in your electric
bills.  The key SI conversion is 1 watt-second (1/3600 of a Wh) = 1 Joule.
It's an integral of W/m2 over time (not a rate).  A common conversion (if
you are doing Eto calculations, for instance) is to MJ/m2/day, which will be
the r.sun output (mode 2) * 3600/1000000

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
NRC Research Associate