[GRASS-user] Clarification on units used in r.sun

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 17:56:33 EST 2006

Thanks for the clarification Jonathan.

I was aware of the Joule - Watt relationship, but was not quite sure why r.sun
was using W*h instead of Joules. Since a Mega-Joule is a much more readily
used unit of enery, I think that I will do the conversion from now on.

The next question, pardon my ignorance, is: how to interpret hourly averaged
insolation (beam + diffuse) values from a weather station, which are reported
in W/(m^2) ?

Is this essentially this same thing, as it is "integrated" over an hour when
summed for the entire day?

Cheers,

Dylan

--