[GRASS-user] Large vector files

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at arc.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 6 15:17:08 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, I was hoping to work in a vector environment with the data --
I'm sure I could think up raster analogs to the analyses I'm trying to do
right now, but as Michael pointed out earlier, this is a problem that does
need to be solved -- Lidar, in particular, is getting more popular, and
software support remains primitive -- while my problem is not a Lidar one,
it still has the same underlying issue -- I need to be able to create and
manipulate massive vector files.

I am hearing a lot of suggestions about using things like PostGIS and
PostGRESQL here and elsewhere, but I am a total novice to this -- is there a
"dummy's guide" to working with these DB instead of shapefiles?  I'd like to
be able to use all of the various GRASS vector commands on a "large vector"
(what would the format be called?) that already exist -- I'm noticing
there's a lot more setup involved in getting a DB running, and the process
has yet to be streamlined.  Is it possible to simply substitute some
postgres driven vector DB for a GRASS vector in the GRASS algorithms, or do
the v.[whatever] algorithms need to be reworked to support this?

--j

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
NRC Research Associate
NASA Ames Research Center