[GRASS-user] Re: [Qgis-user] GIS course on a live-cd (was Basic GIS course ideas)

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Sun Oct 8 06:20:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 01:59:14 -0300
Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 08/10/2006, at 01:30, maning sambale wrote:
>
> > Hi GRASS/QGIS users,
> >
> > I really appreciate all your insights, it is very encouraging.
> >
> > Let me just share a few things about our department in the college, we
> > are really a very small department and faciliites are really
> > insufficient.  We usually borrow computer labs in other departments to
> > do GIS exercises.
> >
> > Last term, we were able to exclusively use the accounting lab for our
> > sessions because nobody is using it.  They bought the computers early
> > on not realizing that the accounting software they will be buying
> > costs a few thousand dollars for each license.  Talk about classic
> > foss/propriety scenario.
> >

> Oh? Introduce them to GnuCash - its a really good open source
> accounting package.  http://www.gnucash.org/
>
> > This term, we may not be able to use a lab exclusively for GIS, we are
> > expected to share lab work with advertising, IT, english, etc. courses
> > (as expected its on Windows).  My experience with a lab that is used
> > by a number courses and not properly maintained is really frustrating,
> > I ended up cleaning the units with viruses and other nuisances before
> > even starting my sessions.
> >
> > I am exploring of maybe using a live-cd (the laussane CDs maybe the
> > latest) for my sessions in this way we can conduct lessons to any lab
> > without the installation, configuration, permission problems and other
> > usual windows maintanance nightmares.
> >
> > I know its a good idea for demos and short exercises.  How about using
> > live-cds for a one semester course?
> >

> I have been in contact with several people who have prepared or are
> in the process of preparing coursework materials for QGIS and QGIS/
> GRASS. I'm thinking that it would be really good to get some kind of
> forum for collaboration between educators working with QGIS so that
> you dont duplicate effort. Perhaps a qgis-edu mailing list? Or an
> area on the wiki? Or a thread on the forum? Or all of the above? I'd
> be interested to hear any feedback.  In the meantime you might be
> interested in the work being carried out by Gary Watry and co:

I would second to have a qgis-edu mailing list and maybe also a wiki
EducationCorner.

Would it make sense to combine GRASS and QGIS in this context? Or
would it be better to creaete an own GRASS education wiki page and/or
mailinglist for people teaching GRASS without QGIS?

Probably it needs to be seperate? Infrastructure problems (liveCDs, server, ...)
might be similar, but course structure and contents would be different if you
look at it from QGIS or GRASS side...

regards,
  Otto