[GRASS-user] GIS course on a live-cd (was Basic GIS course ideas)

Rudolf Maurer rudolf.maurer at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 8 12:00:10 EDT 2006

Hi!

I can understand => I was a student-job in charge of the lab and
department computers...
We were lucky having an excellent expert in the central university's
computing facility who set up a campus-wide system of a linux-system
booting via network. This could be substituted by any live-cd
(hopefully).
When booting the linux-via-net-PCs mounted a nfs-share and set PATH
and maybe other environment variables (can't recall now, I also can't
remember if it was GRASS 5.4 or 6.0 more likely the last).
Then the students just typed grass in a terminal and where mainly
done. All GRASS-related files like locations and mapsets where stored
on the nfs-server.

This worked after some minor issues rather smoothly, but you depend on
your proper nfs-file-server.
Maybe someone knows a better way than nfs to connect the workstations
to the fileserver.

I personally would love to have a recent bootable live-linux-distro on
a big USB-flashdrive. Then install grass and be happy. I did not
manage to find any live-Distro which would be able to function with
most pcs. Ideas/Hints ?

ArcheOS is a live-distro done by archeologists featuring lots of
GIS-related software:
http://www.arc-team.com/archeos/about.html
Did not yet try it...

So long