[GRASS-user] UTM concepts

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:05:49 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to learn GRASS a second time and find myself struggling again
with the basic issue of defining a region.

I have a series of data sources with varying projections and extents
covering the region I'm interested in.  I would like to work on a UTM
projection with WGS84 datum for all analyses of this region, so would have
to reproject and clip the original data sources to this standard.

Since the region of interest covers several UTM zones, I don't understand
how I should define the region for this project.  For instance, If I
choose the UTM zone corresponding to the center of the region I'm
interested in, how does one specify the limits of the region, considering
that the data will span several (4) UTM zones?

I may not be strictly on-topic with this question, but hopefully someone
can point me to some source of info for learning this from a GRASS user
perspective.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Seb