[GRASS-user] groups and subgroups

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 03:22:57 EDT 2006

Travis Kirstine wrote:
>  I'm a fairly new user to grass and am trying to test classify imagery
> using unsupervised and supervised classification techniques, however
> I'm looking for some clarification in grouping imagery using i.group.
> My basic understanding is that a group is a set of imagery i.e RGB,
> PAN, NIR ... what then is the subgroup?

Hi Travis,

You will find a much better answer than I could give in the GRASS
Imagery Manual (GRASS 4.0) by Harmon & Shapiro.

see section 10 "IMAGERY GROUPS" (p.25)

I have just generated a PDF version and put it up on the CVS server. It
will take a day or so to filter through to the website & mirrors, at
which point it will be available at:   (227kb)
  http://grass.itc.it/gdp/imagery/grass4_image_processing.pdf

If you just can't wait, you can download it directly from the CVS web
interface:

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/web/gdp/imagery/grass4_image_processing.pdf?rev=1.1&content-type=application/pdf

Hamish