[GRASS-user] Copying grass rasters from one computer to another?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 01:04:38 EDT 2006

Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> > Hmm, the reason I ask is that I ran a "batch process" (r.sun for
> > every day of the year for a large raster) distributed over 3
> > computers to speed it up -- I now want to merge all the outputs back
> > into a single directory.  What would be the best way to do this?
>
> So you have 3 mapsets with rasters you want to be stored in a single
> mapset, the 4th one.
>
> Make sure the 3 mapsets have unique names. Copy them into one
> location. Create the 4th mapset. Enter the 4th mapset, copy all the
> needed rasters from the other mapsets with g.copy. Remove the 3
> mapsets if you don't need them anymore.

or use "g.mapsets" (with an "s") to include the other mapsets in the
search path (like PERMANENT).

Another solutions is to use r.pack/r.unpack (from the wiki addons)
I haven't tested that much, one of the above solutions is probably much
less error-prone.

Another tip you'll probably want next, you need to recompile r.series
to be able to open 365+ maps at the same time.

raster/r.patch/nfiles.h:
/* The number of cell files that can be patched together.
 *
 * All cell files will be opened at one time, so this number can not
 * be arbitrarily large.
 *
 * Must be smaller than MAXFILES as defined in lib/gis/G.h which
 * in turn must be smaller than the operating system's limit.
 *  (Given by `cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max` in Linux 2.4)
 */

#define MAXFILES 200

oops, Glynn removed that from G.h three months ago. Maybe now it "just
works".

Hamish