Fwd: [GRASS-user] Installation problem

gotnidea! Business Development Centre gotnidea at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:28:31 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: gotnidea! Business Development Centre <gotnidea at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 25, 2006 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Installation problem
To: Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>

Thanks Moritz,

I could partially solve my problem with your help. I changed the c: option
to d:.

But now, as you say, I can install GRASS on my C: with FAT32 structure, I am
more interested in doing so. Earlier I had read at many places that GRASS
could only work with NTFS.

Now to be precise, my problem with installation on C: (FAT32) starts while I
install postgresql-8.1.4-1 and try to initialise database structure. I get
data directory error telling me that data directory should be on NTFS
formatted volume. It clearly mentions:

'If you wish to install the data directory on another type of partition
(which is not recommended, and is unsupported) you must initialise the
database cluster manually by running initdb.exe.'

How can I do so? And how it is done. Would it affect the functioning of
GRASS on FAT32?

regards,
Abhinav