[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS-dev] MS-Windows native GRASS

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 01:30:44 EDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 12:55:02PM +0200, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Huidae Cho wrote:
> >>Congratulations ! At first try, install didn't work (nothing installed
> >>even though it said it did). I then realised that the wget package was not
> >>downloaded correctly. After I downloaded it again, everything went very
> >>smoothly.
> >>First impressions:
> >>- had to add c:\mingw\bin in the PATH line of grass.bat, otherwise it
> >>wouldn't find wish84
> >Did you try to run c:\msys\1.0\msys.bat and check if PATH includes
> >/mingw/bin?  /mingw/bin should be there by default.  I think you
> >installed MSys before MinGW so that MSys does not know about MinGW.
> >This is why I emphasized installation order.
>

> I think I know what might have happened: I probably mistyped the mingw
> installation path, giving c:\mingw instead of c:/mingw. Could this be it
> ? I don't know where to change this in an existing installation, though.

Yes, this is it.

> Just redid the install in a windows instance running in qemu on my
> computer (this way I don't have to bother my colleagues anymore) and now
> it works without changing the path.
>

> Other remarks:
>
> - both the postgresql and the wget links do not work for me. For both I
> ahve to go up one level and looking for the files myself.

Fixed the postgresql link.  What happens with wget is that the site does
not allow direct link?  If you copy & paste the url, it works.

> - grass starts with a warning: "Invalid database." This is not very encouraging
> for a new user ;-) But the biggest problem is that trying to navigate to a
> GRASS database which is outside the msys tree (e.g. //Documents and
> Settings/moritz) gives me a 'no such file or directory' error. If I replace the
> original '/' in the database navigation text field by c:, then I can navigate
> to the database without any problems.

Fixed.

> - gdal_translate (gdal-bin) is not installed and so you cannot export a map to
> jpg or other format

Fixed.

> - grass opens in the msys home directory. It might be interesting to allow the
> user to choose in which directory it starts as user would probably prefer to be
> able to stay withing their usual windows directory structure

Once you choose a database location, the directory will show up by
default.

> - ps.map (simple tests) works great, printing display to eps works great,
> however, cannot create postscript or PDF output, since GRASS doesn't find
> ghostscript in its path (it is installed in
> Program Files/gs/...). Not sure where to include this path ?

It should be just PATH?

> - typing exit at the command line, does not close tcltk windows

It's normal. Closing gis.m will also close cmd.exe.  But please note
that you should type "exit" in the command line instead of just killing
it. Otherwise, current settings will be lost.

> More testing to come, but now I have to get back to work ;-)
>
> Moritz

I've just uploaded today's CVS version and updated sqlite and gdal.

Huidae