[GRASS-user] ArcGIS, GRASS and employability

Martin du Saire mdusaire at umn.edu
Tue Sep 19 13:20:05 EDT 2006

Hey,

Being a complete novice in GIS, and having only
used ESRI products a handful of times, How does
ArcGIS/ESRI hinder student understanding?  Isn't
it the responsibility of the student/instructor
to look inside the black-box?  Maybe GRASS
"forces" one to look inside, but I'm sure there
have been times when I have cut and paste a GRASS
command without fully understanding what's going
on behind the scenes (did I mention I am a novice).

Just wondering.

?