[GRASS-user] v.in.gpsbabel, Garmin USB and Macintosh

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Sep 22 11:31:34 EDT 2006

I've tried some gpsbabel stuff on Mac OS X.  I have a Magellan MAP
330, it's serial, so I need to run in thru a USB-Serial converter.
So far not much luck with gpsbabel, tho I can get it to work with
other Mac GPS apps.  I don't have a USB GPS device to test.

I don't see any *usb* devices, like Paolo mentioned, even cu.usb*.  I
guess usb keyboards and mice get their own special naming, and the
usb-serial converter is cu.USA19QW3d1P1.1.  You could try ls -l cu.*
instead to see what's there, maybe the Garmin is named without
'usb'.  Try it before and after the Garmin is plugged in.

What gpsbabel are you using?  The GPSBabel+ you can find for Mac OS
X, or your own build?  Which version?  PPC or Intel Mac?  That
GPSBabel+ is PPC-only, and may have problems running thru Rosetta on
Intel Macs (it shouldn't).

On Sep 22, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Dave Kent wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am trying to download gps data using v.in.gpsbabel.  I have a
> Garmin C60 gps and am using Grass 6.3CVS on  mac os 10.4.  I am
> using the USB connection.
>
> The gpsbabel application on its own works.
>
> When I try v.in.gpsbabel I get.
>
> Downloading Tracks from GPS
> [ERROR] XSERIAL: Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.usbserial0': ?ÿç
> No such file or directory
> [ERROR] Cannot open serial port '/dev/cu.usbserial0'
> GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.usbserial0
> v.in.gpsbabel: Error retrieving data
>
> I have tried many device names including those in the help pages.  /
> dev/cu.usbserial0  in the above example was from   http://
> wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/MakingGpxTracks
>
> Has anyone had success with this combination?  What device name works?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Dave

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan