[STATSGRASS] RE: [GRASS-user] kriging

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Mon Sep 25 14:54:18 EDT 2006

Hi Maris,

Using interpolation breaklines (in the actual discussion, 'faults') does
not provide the same results as patching two partly-masked
interpolations. Do no forget breaklines can be non-strait complex
curves, that's why is does not give you the same results as using masks.

Say you have:
xxxxx
xxoxx
xxoxx
x1o2x
ooooo

where o = land, your breakline, and x = water. 1 and 2 are two 'x' water
points. When masking land 'o' and interpolating, 1 and 2 will influence
each side of the land arm (the 'o' land that goes north) while they
shouldn't since there is land between them. I do not know the exact
algorythm, but this can't happen when using breaklines. I hope this
example I was clear enough to convince you the result of masks and
breaklines is not the same... :-)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca