[GRASS-user] MS-Windows native GRASS & shell scripts

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 26 04:03:12 EDT 2006

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Luigi Ponti wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have finally found some time to install the new native winGRASS by
> Huidae Cho and it was OK.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to run some scripts I wrote (bash
> scripts, containing calls to perl scripts that also use gnuplot) under
> the new winGRASS. Based on my ignorance, this sounded to me like
> impossible (since it is a Minimalist GNU), then I read in the MinGW
> FAQ's that you could...

I think you need first to read up on MSYS, which can provide what you need
in a simpler way than Cygwin. The MS-Windows native binary is actually an
MSYS build - MSYS provides enough shell-level support to run configure
scripts. If Windows Perl and gnuplot are available in your path, they
should also integrate well enough. There are issues with the ordering of
directories in the path, which is not always simple, but may be less of a
problem than using Cygwin.

A concern that I have had is that the current installation is rather
invasive - I already have MinGW and MSYS (and tcltk), and build proj4 and
GDAL there anyway, but the install procedure seems to assume a "bare"
platform - is it possible to respect the fact that some software may
already be present? By the way, I think PostgreSQL is absolute overkill
for Windows.

Roger